Thursday, June 14, 2012

Life As We Don't Know It

The Father is exceedingly good to those that love Him. He promises that they will be "like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit." (Jeremiah 17:8). To those whose trust is the Lord, their security is complete and unceasing; their inheritance is continuous refreshment.

I look forward to the day when my patient Lord brings to completion the work He has begun in me. I have started to glimpse the kind of freedom that exists when my roots sink into the water bed. But even tonight I wrestled again with some very familiar insecurities. Insecurities which of course are based entirely on my own merit and whether or not I measure up to the standards of the culture around me. Insecurities which are purposed only with promoting and protecting my pride.

At these moments I must admit that even while my heart sings the praise of my beautiful God, my flesh is still really attached to singing my own praises. Thankfully, He is not deterred by pride; He simply promises to humble it. And I can trust that He will accomplish all that He has promised.

I consider for a moment life as I haven't known it. A life where security is found, not in any temporary thing, but in the reality of God's unfailing love. Love which flows like a river, satisfying those planted along its banks. College degrees, promotions, friends on Facebook, houses, cars, and beauty are not bad things. But if that is where my security and trust lie, I am sure to experience difficult droughts. For they cannot satisfy a thirsty heart. After years of chasing narrow streams such as these, it is so refreshing to bathe my soul in the deep water. This is life as I have not known it. This is life to the full.


No comments:

Post a Comment